So, its the 3rd day of the “wild” NFL free agency process and all of the so called “experts” have been predicting where all of the top free agent stars will go. Let’s quickly review where the free agent quarterbacks have gone so far:
1) Matt Hasselbeck signed with the Tennessee Titans as their new quarterback.
2) Alex Smith was resigned for 1 year by the San Francisco 49ers.
3) Tarvaris Jackson was signed by the Seattle Seahawks to compete for the starting job.
4) The Minnesota Vikings traded to get Donavan McNabb to lead them in 2011-2012.
5) Kevin Kolb is on the trading block…speculation has him being traded to the Arizona Cardinals.
6) Broncos QB Kyle Orton seems to be on the way out, as the Tim Tebow era is set to kickoff. Early rumors had the Dolphins actively trying to add Orton via trade.
7) Free agent Tyler Thigpen signed with the Buffalo Bills.
So with all of this activity there seems to be one major name missing from all of the rumors and activity. What happened to Vince Young??? He is an available free agent QB in this quarterback starved league. True indeed, Young has had his issues in the locker room and with previous head coach, Jeff Fisher. His physical skills have never been in question, but his mental make up has. Never the less, this is a bottom line business.
Quarterbacks are judged on wins and losses. Vince Young’s one plus feature…his win/loss record. As a starter for the Tennessee Titans , VY’s record was 30-17 record (63.8%) over five years. During that span, the Titans compiled a record of 15-18 (45.5%) without Young.
So why is there absolutely no buzz about where this guy could go play. Any suitor wouldn’t have to give up draft picks like AZ will have to with Kolb, as well as with Kyle Orton and the Broncos. The Seahawks could have used him instead of Tavaris Jackson. The Dolphins can use an upgrade at QB, as could the Redskins. In a week full of signings and rumors, I’m puzzled by the lack of Vince talk. Has he completely ruined his image to the point that he can only be a back up in the NFL?
Some smart NFL team is going to snap up VY on the cheap and come out way ahead of all these other QB starved teams that seem to want to pass on him. A lot of GM’s could lose their jobs based on how this one plays out.
Let me know what you think!
Urbansports.net…the site that NEVER sleeps!